The desire to have beautiful, straight teeth is a tale as old as time. In the past, orthodontists used bulky headgear and irritating braces to fix misaligned teeth. Since then, orthodontics has made incredible advancements.
Invisalign® clear aligners are a modern approach to traditional orthodontic treatments. These aligners make it easier to get the smile you want without the hassle of outdated treatment methods. No more cumbersome, unsightly, or painful gear–just fast and easy results! Read on to learn more about the Invisalign treatment process and its many benefits.
Traditional Braces vs. Modern Aligners
Patients with severely misaligned teeth usually benefit more from metal braces than from clear aligners. In fact, it is estimated that over 4 million people in the US wear metal braces. However, metal braces come with distinct disadvantages, such as:
- Noticeable. Because metal braces are affixed to the front surface of the teeth, they are easily noticed. This makes some patients feel self-conscious about their smiles.
- Difficulty Brushing and Flossing. The metal brackets and archwires of traditional braces make oral hygiene more difficult. Oftentimes, patients have to spend extra money on specialty oral hygiene products, like interdental flossers, just to clean their teeth. The difficulty added to daily brushing and flossing leads some patients to neglect their oral hygiene. In these cases, patients will notice plaque build-up around their braces, which can cause discoloration and decay.
- Dietary Changes. People with metal braces have to take special care to avoid hard or sticky foods. If these foods aren’t avoided, then the patient may accidentally break the archwire or dislodge a bracket from the tooth. Once breakage occurs, it is necessary to see an orthodontist to fix it. Otherwise, the braces will cease to function properly.
- Frequent Appointments. Because braces need to be adjusted regularly, patients end up visiting an orthodontist one or more times a month.
A 2017 study suggests that Invisalign aligners are more effective than other clear aligners on the market. Not only are Invisalign aligners effective, but they are also patient-friendly. The benefits of the Invisalign system include:
- Virtually Invisible. Invisalign aligners are clear, so they largely go unnoticed by friends, family members, and acquaintances. Therefore, patients don’t have to deal with comments on their braces or hide their smiles in pictures. Invisalign is the perfect option for self-conscious teens and adults.
- Removable. Invisalign aligners need to be worn for 20-22 hours a day for optimal results. However, patients can take them out when eating, drinking, or brushing and flossing their teeth.
- No Dietary Changes. With Invisalign, patients don’t have to worry about dislodging a bracket or breaking an archwire. This means that patients are free to eat whatever they want–even hard or sticky foods!
- Comfort. Braces can irritate the mouth, but Invisalign is smoother and gentler on the gums, cheeks, and lips.
- Fewer Appointments. Unlike metal braces, the Invisalign system doesn’t require you to come to a dental office for monthly adjustments. Most Invisalign patients only need to visit their dentist every other month to ensure their teeth are moving at the right pace.
Invisalign in San Francisco, CA
Want straighter teeth in 6-18 months without the hassle of traditional orthodontics? At California Dental Innovations, we are proud to provide our patients with modern, hassle-free Invisalign orthodontics. To get started on the Invisalign journey today, call us at (415)-513-5066 or book an appointment online.