Porcelain veneers are like a facelift for your teeth. Veneers are thin, tooth-shaped shells that cover the natural tooth surface to hide flaws. They can correct chips, stains, gaps, crooked teeth, and misshapen teeth. Our San Francisco dentist designs porcelain veneers to look and feel natural.
Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about porcelain veneers:
1. WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF DENTAL VENEERS?
Unlike other cosmetic dental treatments, porcelain veneers address a wide range of issues to completely transform your smile. A skilled cosmetic dentist like Dr. Levi combines artistry and science to design veneers that compliment your natural teeth, facial features, and personality. Here are four reasons why so many of our patients choose dental veneers:
- They look completely natural.
- They offer strength and durability.
- They cost less than other cosmetic dentistry solutions.
- They renew your image and improve confidence.
2. HOW DO VENEERS WORK?
The science behind veneers is simple. They are created from porcelain and shaped to simply cover up an imperfect natural tooth. There are typically three appointments involved with dental veneers:
- Initial consultation: Dr. Mina will perform an oral examination to determine if you are a suitable candidate for veneers. Once confirmed, the two of you will discuss your smile goals and preferences.
- Preparation: A mold of your mouth will be taken to ensure the veneers fit perfectly in your mouth. Dr. Mina will prepare your teeth for the veneers by removing a small amount of enamel from the surface of each tooth. She may place a temporary veneer until your final appointment.
- Placement: Finally, Dr. Mina will use strong dental cement to secure the veneers. If any adjustments need to be made to the shape or size of the veneer, she can make them before or after placement.
3. HOW LONG DO PORCELAIN VENEERS LAST?
When taken proper care of, veneers can last between 10 and 20 years, and sometimes even longer!
To ensure your veneers last as long as possible, follow these guidelines:
- Brush twice a day
- Floss daily
- Visit the dentist at least every six months
- Use a mouthguard to protect against teeth grinding
- Avoid hard foods
- Don’t use your teeth as tools
4. WHAT DO PORCELAIN VENEERS COST?
Every patient’s smile is unique and so are their treatment plans. Because of that, it’s impossible to give an accurate estimate here. The cost of veneers is based on how many you want, your preferences, and the length of treatment. However, our team can provide an estimate or exact cost after your initial consultation with Dr. Mina. We can also discuss your payment options.
5. CAN I JUST WHITEN MY TEETH INSTEAD?
In some cases, yes. Professional whitening treatments work well for patients with extrinsic dental stains. The whitening treatment lifts the stains from the tooth’s surface to revive the appearance. However, whitening treatments do not address intrinsic dental stains caused by aging, medication, and oral trauma. These stains must be covered up because they cannot be lifted or brightened. Teeth whitening also does not correct chips, cracks, or misshapen teeth.
6. AM I A CANDIDATE FOR PORCELAIN VENEERS?
To learn if porcelain veneers can improve your smile, contact our friendly dental team today at (415) 513-5066 to schedule an initial consultation.