Whether it’s acute and sharp or chronic and dull, tooth pain can be debilitating. But regardless of how slight or severe your tooth pain is, it’s important to schedule a dental visit immediately. As a highly skilled and trained San Francisco dentist, Dr. Mina Levi of California Dental Innovations helps her patients pinpoint toothache causes. She also provides several top-quality preventative and restorative treatment options to get you feeling and looking your best.
In this article, we’ll explore toothache symptoms, some common toothache causes, and possible treatments. We’ll also explain how preventative dental care helps establish great oral health to prevent further painful toothaches in the future.
Symptoms of Tooth Pain
Here are a few common symptoms of a toothache:
- Localized or radiating pain: Tooth pain may originate in or around the affected tooth, worsen with temperature changes, occur only when chewing, or be sharp or throbbing. Whatever the case, tooth pain requires urgent dental attention.
- Swelling: Inflamed or bloody gums surrounding the affected tooth are clear indicators that something is wrong.
- Drainage: If an infection is present, then foul-smelling and tasting pus may drain from the tissue around the affected tooth.
- Headaches: Persistent headaches or jaw pain are signs that a toothache may be getting worse.
- Fever: A toothache with a fever suggests that something is seriously wrong, and it requires immediate dental or medical care.
Common Causes of Tooth Pain
Tooth pain can occur for many reasons, but here are a few of the most common toothache causes:
- Dental decay: Tooth decay–or a cavity–is the most common cause of tooth pain.
- An abscess: This is an infection that results in a painful, pus-filled pocket around the affected tooth. Patients should seek immediate care because an abscess could lead to deadly sepsis.
- A damaged tooth: Whether from trauma or normal wear-and-tear, a toothache may be the result of a fractured, cracked, chipped, or broken tooth.
- A damaged dental restoration: Damage to a dental filling or crown may cause painful toothaches.
- Gum disease: Also known as periodontitis, gum disease results in inflamed gums that affect the sensitive nerves of the teeth.
- Teeth grinding: Grinding the teeth–or bruxism–puts incredible pressure on the teeth and jaws, which results in tooth and jaw pain.
Restorative Treatment Options
Whether restoring an individual tooth or re-establishing good oral health, Dr. Mina Levi provides toothache treatment options, such as:
- Composite fillings: A biocompatible composite filling stops cavities from spreading while also reinforcing the natural structure of the tooth. Furthermore, Dr. Mina can repair damaged fillings, as well as safely replace harmful metal fillings.
- Dental crowns: Cavities or trauma may require a dental crown–or cap–to repair the strength, function, and aesthetic of a damaged tooth.
- Partial crowns/inlays/onlays: Teeth that aren’t damaged enough to warrant a full dental crown may be restored with inlays or onlays–also known as partial crowns.
- Dental implants: In severe cases, Dr. Mina may need to pull an affected tooth in order to restore good oral health. In this instance, she offers dental implants to replace the missing tooth and re-establish peak oral health and performance.
Preventative Treatment Options
When it comes to combating toothaches, nothing is more important than preventative dental care. That’s why patients who visit California Dental Innovations can enjoy state-of-the-art prophylactic care, such as:
- Dental cleanings and exams: Visiting Dr. Mina every six months for a regular cleaning and exam helps patients stay on top of potential dental problems.
- ICON® non-drilling technique: For patients who have the beginning of a cavity, Dr. Mina can prevent the decay from spreading with this minimally-invasive liquid infiltrant technique.
- Night guard: These custom-made appliances are designed to prevent painful and damaging teeth grinding at night.
- Fluoride varnish: To prevent cavities, Dr. Mina uses a fluoride varnish to remineralize worn tooth enamel.
- MI Paste®: Similar to fluoride, MI Paste is a dental topical solution that helps remineralize the teeth for optimal oral health.
Superior Dental Care in San Francisco, CA
A painful toothache can disrupt your life and leave you feeling helpless. But, at California Dental Innovations, Dr. Mina Levi and her caring team can easily diagnose and treat your toothache. So, don’t delay–schedule your appointment today by calling (415) 513-5066 or booking it online.